Friday, June 18, 2010

"Beach"



Here's the thing. It's a bit hard to see Lake Michigan's shoreline as a real beach. The term 'beach' seems to be geologically accurate when referring to a lake, but when I think 'beach', I'm thinking of seashells, seaweed and the tart smell of salt in the air. I suppose this "beach elitism" comes from years of growing up with gorgeous Southeast Asian island holidays with the family. That's okay, I can settle for Lake Michigan. If you don't go in the water, you can almost pretend!

My friend Brie and I decided to head north towards Loyola, where we found Hartigan Beach. It was nice. We sipped on ginger tea (recipe below) and let the hours dwindle away talking and talking as we watched people flitting about in their swimsuits. I would never swim in Lake Michigan, mostly because my boyfriend tells me horror stories about how contaminated the water really is. No, thank you! I'm quite content on a blanket with sunglasses and a sundress. All in all, it was a lovely day.

Ginger Tea (Teh Jahe)

6 cups of water
Fist-sized amount of sliced and peeled fresh ginger
Palm sugar (Brown sugar will do, but palm sugar is preferred-- check your local Mexican or Asian grocery store.)

1. Bring water to a rolling boil, drop the slices of fresh ginger in. It seems like a lot of ginger, but it produces a perfect ginger tea when you're done... promise!
2. Boil for at least 20 minutes. Taste and ensure the ginger flavour is tangible.
3. Add desired amount of palm sugar.

This is one of my favourite drinks, and is delicious served hot or cold. Teh jahe always brings me back to rainy nights in Manado, Indonesia where they serve this warm after dinner. It's great for digestion and won't keep you up at night!

P.S. Please let me know if you have a blog you think I would be interested in. I need some links to add!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures!

    Oh and I want to thank youuu so much for the ginger tea recipe. I'll be sure to try that. I am completely obsessed with the ginger tea at this spa I go to but I keep forgetting to make some at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope you like it-- it's exactly like the ginger tea they serve in spas.

    ReplyDelete