Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nestum Prawns with Curry Leaves






I have been home for 2 weeks and I have already made this twice. Nestum is this wholegrain cereal thing (so descriptive, I know) that comes in dry flakes and tastes sooo good with warm milk and a little sugar. And for some odd reason, it also just happens to make for a perfect crisp coating for prawns. This dish is pretty popular in Malaysia, and was often a staple during our family dinners at seafood restaurants... ahh, the ones with red or pink tablecloth (sometimes even plastic sheets) and huge lazy Susans in the centre.

Basically, it's really good. The garlic is lovely with the distinct zing and earthiness of the curry leaves; there's this crisp texture and just a smiiidgen of sweetness and heat to bring this together. And if you don't go all out with the oil, it really isn't that awful for you.

So I gathered some curry leaves and plucked a few chilli peppers from my garden, and off to the wok I went. Can I just say how much I love being able to do this? I wonder if a cili padi plant would flourish perched upon my somewhat sunny windowsill in Chicago, hmm. Doubtful.

In other news, my sister and her husband will be arriving sooner than anticipated. I'm really excited!

Recipe here.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I seriously want to have a bite of this. You make cooking look so easy! Yum yum. I'd love to be in your kitchen someday and eat everything. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's REALLY easy, Anne. Did you check out the recipe? Try it! :)

    ReplyDelete