Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas



I never thought I'd get here, but here I am... the long nights and boring critiques of the semester behind me. I still have plenty to do for the next year, but I am going to enjoy doing nothing for a few more days.





So, it's Christmas! I was so excited about the holiday season: putting up a tree, listening to an insufferable amount of Jackson 5 Christmas music, and even throwing a small ugly sweater soiree. Unfortunately, I spent Christmas Day itself with a sore throat and a healthy dose of lethargy. Sad, really. I was hoping that maybe, JUST MAYBE, I'd hit December 25th without picking up some awful bug, but nope! Somehow, Paul and I ended up sick.

We had to skip out on his sister's Christmas meal so I decided to make our Christmas feast (ha!)-- congee with shiitake mushrooms and egg. Perfect food for the infirm. This is a good guide to making congee. I used minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and plenty of scallions. Nothing quite to it, so I won't go into great detail... just remember to crack an egg in towards the end.



I hope we feel better soon, because my sister and brother-in-law will be in town for New Year's and the last thing I want is to be this bumbling tired mess of germs. I have a nice plump list of restaurants to dine at-- determined to show them what Chicago's made of! Maybe I'll even cook a bit.

Well, one thing's for sure. I'll be updating a bit more frequently now that I am no longer plagued with finals and critiques, perhaps some of you even missed my updates. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment